EAT: Six Ways to Spice Up Your Valentine’s Day
Donatella Arpaia of Mia Dona restaurant in New York provides six fun and easy tips on how to add a little romance into your Valentine’s Day with desert! The Zagat-dubbed “hostess with the mostess” provides with six easy ways to add a little romance to your Valentine’s Day with a little desert!
Donatella was a former judge on “The Next Iron Chef,” and she has recently appeared on the TODAY Show. (View a past TODAY Show clip to see Donatella on TV!) Her tips are the perfect thing to add a little spice to your Valentine’s Day meal.
1) You want interactive food that’s fun. For example, its time to finally break out your fondue pot or butter warmers to create a beautiful chocolate dipping sauce with long stemmed strawberries and a bowl of whipped cream on the side. Chocolate is an aphrodisiac after all!
2) Try a little Gourmet ice creams with special toppings – toasted coconut, sprinkles, etc. buy ice cream cones, sauces, etc. To add a little fun to your night, and show your Valentine that you care.
3) Nothing is better than chocolate. I like to buy the highest quality chocolate I can find and put them on glass slabs in an artful arrangement with flower petals. Serve it as desert or present it to your Valentine at the end of the night as another little special treat. You will win their heart in no time.
4) My favorite desert is molten chocolate cake, we actually serve a “very sexy” molten chocolate cake at Mia Dona – if you don’t want to make one, just pick one up… we won’t tell, and pair it with something cold like ice cream or whipped cream, for an added appeal. With chocolate and ice-cream you can do no wrong!
5) Pastry rocks can be purchased from chefrubber.com – they are the gourmet poprocks and make you laugh and can be added to any dessert – perhaps to fruit with a little liquor.
6) Always have a can of whipped cream nearby (yes, this is the only instance where a can is allowed)… add it where appropriate and have a Happy Valentine’s Day!!