Best of 2007
Welcome to Short and Sweet NYC, a blog that will post great things to do in NYC. Whether it’s a music show, a restaurant, a bar, or some random event or place, Short and Sweet NYC will list the best of what’s going on in NYC, and best of all, all reviews will be Short and Sweet.
To start things off, below are my personal Best of Music Lists for 2007. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by and reading.
Top 10 albums of 2007
1. Yeasayer – All Hour Cymbals (We Are Free)
2. Jens Lekman – Night Falls Over Kortedala (Secretly Canadian)
3. Dungen – Tio Bitar (Kemado)
4. Devendra Banhart – Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon (XL)
5. Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings – 100 Days, 100 Nights (Daptone Records)
6. Amy Winehouse – Back to Black (Republic)
7. Radiohead – In Rainbows (Radiohead)
8. Arcade Fire – Neon Bible (Merge)
9. Feist – The Reminder (Cherry Tree/Interscope)
10. St. Vincent – Marry Me (Beggar’s Banquet)
10 Best songs
1. Radiohead, “Jigsaw Falling Into Place” (Radiohead)
2. Feist, “1234” (Cherry Tree/Interscope)
3. Amy Winehouse “Rehab” (Republic)
4. Justin Timberlake “What Goes Around . . . Comes Around” (Jive)
5. Devendra Banhart “Seahorse” (XL)
6. Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings “100 Days, 100 Nights” (Daptone Records)
7. Panda Bear “Comfy in Nautica” (Paw Tracks)
8. Jens Lekman Kanske Ar Jag Kar i Dig (Secretly Canadian
9. Peter Bjorn and John “Young Folks” (Wichita)
10. Lily Allen “Smile” (Capitol)
5 Best Reissues
1. Sly and the Family Stone – Stand! (Sony/BMG)
2. Joy Division – Unknown Pleasures (Factory/WEA)
3. Joy Division – Closer (Factory/WEA)
4. Leonard Cohen – The Songs Of Leonard Cohen (Columbia/Sony Legacy)
5. Pink Floyd – The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (Capitol)
Top 5 artists of 2007
1. Britney Spears – for bringing the word “rockstar” and the phrase “complete mess” together again.
2. Youtube – for making anybody a celebrity (see Chris Crocker, Tay Zonday)
3. Reality show Drama – from Rock of Love to Tila Tequila, what gave has-beens and never heard of’s instant stardom were their crazy admirers drinking, stripping, cussing, and fighting so they can get a shot at love . . on a reality show. Awesome!
4. Judd Apatow – from Freaks and Geeks to directing Knocked Up, producing Superbad, and writing Walk Hard, all in 2007, he is probably having a better year than many artists’ careers.
5. The “N” word and the “F” bomb. You know the words I’m talking about. It seemed like everyone in media got involved with causing controversy. The “N” word users and abusers include Michael Richards, Don Imus, and Dog the Bounty Hunter, while “F” bomb droppers include “Isaiah Washington, and Ann Coulter. It seems like controversy and celeb stardom went hand-in-hand in 2007.