The Brooklyn Expo Center was a whirl of gauchos, blazers and party dresses on Wednesday night as Brooklyn came out in fearless spring fashion to get their eat and drink on at Taste of the Nation for No Kid Hungry. Area chefs and mixologists created a sample of their fare to serve to guests at the event, and tickets sales supported No Kid Hungryâ€™s campaign to end childhood hunger.
As an added bonus, rock band X Ambassadors performed, and experiencing Sam Harrisâ€™ voice for their performance of â€œUnsteadyâ€ was the high point of the evening (if not the week).
Other Taste of the Nation highlights included:
- The complex flavors in Little Tong Noodle Shopâ€™s Ghost Chicken with fried shallot chips, shiso and flowers.
- Scrumdiddlyumptious meatballs made with BKLYN Larderâ€™s Happy Valley Beef and Heritage Pork.
- The inspiring cherry radishes in nori bacon butter and dashi braised with pickled radish tops from Bessou on Bleecker.
- The oh-so-spicy Chili Dan Dan Chicken Dumplings with toasted peanuts, Sichuan chili and coriander from CUT.
- The guilt-free Mushroom Sticky Rice Hand Roll from South Slopeâ€™s TALDE.
- Leyendaâ€™s flavorsome cocktail made with Magdalena rum, ginger, pineapple, lime, angostura bitters, and topped with soda water.
If you missed this one, there are plenty of chances to attend a No Kid Hungry event throughout the year (and country). For more info, see: https://events.nokidhungry.org/events/